some_text

e a bit better than they were last year and t

in General Discussion Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:32 pm
by sakura698 • 46 Posts

WINNIPEG -- They put points on the board, now the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have to put fans back in the seats as they opened the CFL season with a convincing 45-21 win over the Toronto Argonauts Thursday night. Nike Air Max Großhandel . It was a welcome change from the past couple of seasons as they dominated the Argos on both sides of the ball, although coach Mike OShea said they made enough mistakes to show more work needs to be done. Drew Willys debut as Winnipegs starting quarterback was nothing short of stunning for fans who have known little but disappointment the last two seasons. He threw four touchdown passes. "He just ran a good game. The No. 1 thing quarterbacks have to do, what theyre in charge of, is winning," said OShea. "He went out there and he helped win the game for us." OShea said it probably surprised some people. Willy had started only four games and won just one as a backup in Saskatchewan for the last two seasons. But the players, including Willy, said they werent surprised. The team has changed a lot from the one that went 3-15 last season. "I kind of thought I could do it but Im a confident guy," said Willy. "I knew if I went through my reads and did everything possible things would go right . . . We got off to a good start. It was nice on the first drive to score." Even Argos head coach Scott Milanovich praised Willys efforts on the field. "They protected the passer well and Drew made the throws that were there," Milanovich said. "Give him a lot of credit, that was an excellent first start for him." Aaron Kelly at wide receiver caught two of those touchdown passes as he opened his first full season with the Bombers with a 100-yard game. "Im going to change his name, Big Play Kelly," said OShea, who saw in a game what Kelly showed in camp. He joined the Bombers midway through last season. "I feel Ive got a good opportunity here," said Kelly, who entered his fourth season in the CFL and won an opener for the first time. He spent 2011 and 2012 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. "I worked hard to win the starting spot here and just wanted to come out and start fast and help the team win." Penalties crippled the Argos, who had 22 to just seven for the Bombers, and 16 in the first half alone. OShea said they were a huge part of the game and noted one of Winnipegs, for too many men, led to one of Torontos touchdowns. Milanovich said his team needs to learn from the mistakes it made on the field Thursday. "Theres three things we point to that win or lose football games: protecting the football, penalties, and protecting the quarterback, and we lost every phase of that ..." Milanovich said. "We simply cant win with that many penalty flags." After a couple of poor seasons, Winnipeg has some work to do to bring back the crowds at Investors Group Field. There were almost 9,000 empty seats Thursday night and at 24,872, only barely beat the 24,000 who attended the Bombers pre-season tilt against the Argos three weeks ago. Bombers president Wade Miller could be seen walking through the stands personally greeting fans Thursday night. "As much as the players that have been here the last few years need this win, so did the fans and our players appreciate that," said OShea. "This community needs this. The players needs to understand that its bigger than them too." Cory Watson caught another touchdown pass, backup quarterback Robert Marve ran for a fourth, and defensive back Demond Washington carried a fumble in for a fifth. Canadian receiver Julian Feoli-Gudino, a former Argo, made it six with a seven-yard catch in the fourth quarter. CFL rookie running back Nic Grigsby ran for 122 yards on 21 carries for the Bombers. A 77-yard return by Brendan Smith set up Torontos only touchdown in the first half when Ricky Ray hit Jason Barnes for nine yards. They got another on a five-yard pass to Jeremiah Johnson in the second and picked up a single on a kick. Chad Owens carried a kick back 83 yards late in the second half for another Toronto touchdown to make it 45-21. Marves touchdown was set up by a successful pass interference challenge from coach Mike OShea, payback for a similar challenge from Toronto coach Scott Milanovich in their exhibition game June 6, the first time the new league rule saw action. Torontos defence couldnt put any serious pressure on Willy for much of the game and their offence was hammered by the Bombers, with sacks, forced fumbles, and intercepted or blocked passes. Ray and Willy both threw 12 for 18 in the first half but Willy turned that into 246 yards and three touchdowns. Ray had to settle for 141 and one. Willy finished the game going 19 for 27 for 305 yards to Rays 27 for 38 and 283. Trevor Harris came in for Ray late in the second half and Brian Brohm replaced Willy, although Willy returned for a few plays after Owens touchdown. Schuhe Günstig Online Kaufen . Felton was in court as the Manhattan district attorneys office outlined the agreement, which would resolve a gun case that arose amid the breakup of his marriage. Hes expected to admit June 30 to at least one charge, attempted criminal possession of a weapon -- he wont have to come to court to do so -- and get a $5,000 fine and 500 hours of community service. Nike Air Max 97 Günstig Kaufen . - Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin has cleared league-mandated concussion protocol and has returned to practice as a full participant. https://www.schuheshopschweiz.ch/billig-nike-air-max-720-gunstig-kaufen-schweiz-d286.html . On a hot, sweaty day, the Hall of Famer looked cool and comfortable.We dont look at birth certificates around here That was Winnipeg Jets head coach Paul Maurice responding to a question about the big per-game minutes Mark Scheifele (21) and Jacob Trouba (20) will play this season. Despite both being in only their second full NHL seasons, they will be relied upon to be contributors, or players that can help us win, as Coach Maurice puts it. And that is totally fine with both players. Scheifele, along with many other NHL players, spent the summer working out under the guidance of former long-time NHLer Gary Roberts. I dont think I took a day off in the summer. I made huge gains. I ate the right food, drank the right water and did everything I could to put the best things into my body and make myself the strongest and fastest I can be. Upon their return to the NHL the Jets made Scheifele their first pick in the 2011 Draft. Following an excellent pre-season he played seven regular season games, scored his first NHL goal in Toronto, and was then sent back to the Barrie Colts of the OHL. After his junior season was done, he joined the IceCaps for their playoffs. What would have been his second training camp was wiped out by the lockout. Because he was a first round pick he was able to leave his junior team and join the Jets for a very short camp. He played four regular season games before going back to the OHL where he became a dominant player, putting up big time numbers in both the regular season and playoffs. But many viewed his return to junior as the Jets made a bad selection. He will not be the player they thought he would be. That is all history now following a 13-21-34 output in 63 games last season. And he was playing the best hockey of the season when he went down with a knee injury and was done for the year. He recorded 29 points, including 12 goals in his final 39 games. In his first 16 games under Coach Maurice he went 6-5-11. But it may very well have been a late November six-game road trip where it became clear that he was an NHL player. He scored the first goal of the trip in New Jersey and the final goal of the trip – an overtime winner in Tampa. And coincidence or not, the Jets were on an 11-3-1 run when he got hurt and as other injuries piled up, won only seven of the remaining 19. What turned out to be a huge positive for Scheifele was Maurice being named to the coaching staff of Team Canada for the World Championship in Belarus. It was a big help to my mental state to play in the Worlds after my knee injury. I didnt have to worry about the knee coming into camp. Plus I learned a lot. By the end of the tournament Scheifele became one of the teams best face-off men. Over the summer Maurice toyed with what his lines may look like to start the season. The combination that drew a lot of discussion, and anticipation, was Scheifele between Blake Wheeler and Evander Kane. Three players will skill, size and speed. Unfortunately early in Game 1 Kane suffered a lower body injury, so that experiiment has been put on hold. Nike Air Max 720 Günstig. Jacob Trouba was the Jets top pick in the 2012 Draft, number nine overall. He joined the team the following spring but did not play. After a very good training camp, he made the team for the 2013-14 season. His rookie year was probably WAY more than anyone expected. He played 25:02 in his NHL debut, a road game in Edmonton. He was a plus-2 and scored his first NHL goal. To Trouba, the big minutes were no big deal. He always played big minutes, so why not at this level? All went well until an injury in the eighth game of the year put him out for 17 games. When all was said and done he set a franchise record for goals scored by a rookie defenceman with 10 (including a short-handed goal and an overtime goal), led all rookies in per-game average ice time at 22:26 including a career high of 27:43 in a home game in March against Vancouver, and 21 times led the Jets in per-game ice time as he played in all situations. Like Scheifele his hockey season too ended with a trip to the World Championship, as he was part of Team USA. An injury brought him home early, but did not keep him from a hard summer of preparation. Going into his second season Trouba knows his role will be expanded. Coach has made that very clear, and that is fine with him. Trouba feels hes gotten off to a slow start. There are areas I need to be better at and I will work on that. Need to move the puck a little quicker for one. Both players know it will not be easier in year two. They perhaps flew under the radar for a bit of last season, but that will not be the case this season. Although opposition teams did try and expose the two youngsters last season, without a whole lot of success. When asked about the two, this from Coach Maurice. The sophomore jinx is not on the player, its on the expectations of what happens to a man for four months, five months, in the summer. They are five months older, not five-year vets. So my expectations are that Im hoping for both those guys to be a bit better than they were last year and that would be a good curve. We wont do it statistically, whether Scheif scores 12, it wont be looked at as a down year, its about development, getting on the ice, playing harder roles probably first, giving them tougher assignments. But I didnt look at those two guys names on the board and expect them to go from five months older to being a lot better than the rest of the guys in the league. That being said, in our structure and on our team, weve got them in really important positions. Positions that sometimes take players years to get to. So they are going to have some times where they look like theyve really come on and well be excited about that, and there is going to be times both struggle a bit with their role. Weve asked them to do a big job. Yes, the NHL has become a young league, and Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba are two great examples. But both are ready for the challenge that lies ahead. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: geeta200147
Board Statistics
The forum has 49 topics and 55 posts.